Multiplicity, Abuse & Healing Network
Peer Support for Abuse Survivors

For A Free Referral To A Qualified Therapist Call (888) 884-3155 or Visit: Connect For Help

Shop: Amazon

About the Author

Glenn Yank, MD is a Psychiatrist located in Tennessee.


Home| Resources| Self Help| Editorials/Poetry| eTherapy Info| Search

ShrinkTime (TM)

I have a son that is mentally ill with schizophrenia and is taking crack, ecstasy and pot. I am a desperate parent that is dealing with post traumatic syndrome. i do not know what to do with my son, he is 22 with the mind of a 12 year old. I am so depressed I do not know what to do. My job and my marriage is being affected by his drug addiction. Can you help me? I am so scared for him , I have tried to talk with him about this, maybe the way that i am talking with him is not the right way? Can you please help.


Schizophrenia is a very serious mental disorder that affects about one person in one hundred. A significant percentage of people with this illness also become addicted to drugs, sometimes trying desperately to find some relief from the symptoms that they experience. Unfortunately, the street drugs your son is taking can worsen the symptoms of his schizophrenia. You have described a situation that needs to be addressed by mental health professionals in your area. I think you would benefit from supportive therapy to help you cope with both your Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and your son, and your son needs to be in treatment and on antipsychotic medication to prevent his illness from getting worse. You can begin to learn more about schizophrenia at the National Institute of Mental Health website:

Another very useful resource is the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill:

When you talk to your son bear in mind that he is probably quite frightened and distrustful, and that these feelings are part of his illness. Your son is probably afraid of appearing weak, so tell him that it takes a lot of strength and courage for anyone to admit they have a problem and need help. It may not be easy to convince him to get into treatment. If you have a physician or therapist, asking them about local resources for your son would be a good place to start. If you do not have a physician or therapist, start by getting yourself some help, as you will likely benefit from assistance to address the problems you face. In addition, by getting yourself some help, you act as a role model to your son, showing that it is ok to ask for help when you feel overwhelmed. Many communities have a community mental health center that provides treatment and/or a local mental health association that can provide information. In addition, almost every state as a state-level department of mental health that you can ask. Still another resource are the state legislators and county or city officials in your area. To them, you are a constituent, and they will have someone on their staff forward information to you. Good luck.


Do you have a question relating to a mental health issue? Do you have a question relating to abuse or multiplicity? Do you have a question about medication? Once a month a new question will be answered and posted on this column. A special thanks to Dr. Yank for donating his time to answer the questions.

Send your question to ShrinkTime. As time is limited all questions can not be answered but will go into a pool of questions. If your question has been asked previously, a reply will be sent redirecting you to the answer.

Return to the main page. Eventually you will be able to search archives.



Disclaimer: The information contained here is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional advice relative to your specific medical or mental health condition or question. ALWAYS seek the advice of your physician or other health provider for any questions you may have regarding your medical or mental health condition. Information provided here DOES NOT constitute a doctor-patient relationship between you and the column author.

© Copyright 2003-2005. All rights reserved. Contact: ShrinkTime Last edited: 07/26/03.